Tuesday, 28 January 2014

Valentine's Day Heart Brooch Tutorial!

Evening dear Girls!


As promised, I'm pleased to introduce my first ever tutorial!
It's an easy project but very satisfying! Once you start you can't stop and you can introduce all manner of variations and make it your own.
So.

AMANDA'S VALENTINE HEART BROOCH

Ingredients
  • PVA Glue
  • Scissors
  • Biro
  • Paintbrush
  • Main Fabric...10 cm square
  • Backing Fabric...10 cm square
  • Felt, Wool or Fleece (anything soft and squishy basically)...10 cm square
  • Scrap of Ribbon 1.5 cm wide and 2-3 cm long
  • Brooch Back...or if you don't have one a Safety Pin will do
  • Piece of Card...I used a cereal box....10 cm square
  • A book that you don't mind chopping up and is likely to have some endearments in it...I used Love Letters of Great Men and Women 
  • A tray to work on


Draw a heart on the piece of cardboard. This is how I do it...by starting with 2 circles. Put a dot where you want the heart to end....


....and then draw curved lines to meet the dot. Easy peasy.


Cut out the heart...


...then place it on the felt/wool/fleece and draw round it with Biro. I used an piece of old shrunken sweater...tell me I'm not the only one to have those.


Using your brush smear a big blob of PVA on the card heart.


Stick the wool heart on top of the card heart and squeeze it together with your fingers...this is where it get fun :-) Now pop another good big blob of PVA onto the wool heart. Spread it around the whole surface with your brush. Splish, splash, splosh.


Turn over the heart and place glue side down onto the wrong side of your main fabric.


Cut roughly around the Heart and then snip into the fabric up to the edge of the Heart. Cut the point of the fabric off across the bottom of the Heart. I made a Booboo on this one and  cut it at an odd angle. I've left this mistake in the tutorial because it's no bad thing for you to know that I am, as we all are, without question, Less Than Perfect!


By now this Heart is getting pretty sodden...but it's time for more PVA! Yay! 
I love PVA!
Squeeze more PVA around the edge of the heart.....


 ...and turn the fabric over the back of the heart, squishing it into the PVA as you go (I think this is my favourite part!). Get the fabric thoroughly soaked with glue, adding more if you need to. 


 By this stage the whole heart is rather soft and squashy! Don't panic!!! It's supposed to be like that.


So just when you think this can't get any soggier, guess what???...add more glue all over the back of the heart. Cover the whole back up to the edges with glue.


Place the Heart, glue side down on the wrong side of the backing fabric.


Turn over and trim the backing fabric around the Heart, angling your scissors so that you are cutting slightly inside the back of the Heart.


 Spread more PVA over the back of the Heart....just for a change...


By this time, to be honest, it's starting to look a bit of a mess and you think you've gone wrong but trust me...all will be well.


Choose your text...


 ...and cut it out. Don't worry about being perfect. I think it looks good being a bit wonky.


Time for some more...you guessed it...PVA.


 Pop a wee blob where you want your text to go then squish your text into the glue, piling  more glue on top of it and brush all over the Heart.


For this little Heart I chose a resin flower to decorate it. 


One more blob of PVA and stick the flower on.


Gently turn the Heart over and put a blob of PVA in the centre of the back where you want to place the brooch back.
Place the brooch back across the centre of the Heart and press it into the glue so that it squishes through the sewing holes in the brooch back. Put more glue on the brooch back, avoiding the pin part.


Cut your scrap of ribbon at an angle on both ends to make a parallelogram and pop this underneath the brooch bar, into the glue and press with your fingers, adding more glue onto the ribbon so that it is absolutely soaked.
Turn over your Heart....still looking a bit messy? Don't worry. At this point I should say that I do this with a damp cloth beside me to wipe my hands on!


And now the most important bit...the bit when Squishy and Messy turns into cute and quirky. You need to leave this to dry for a few hours until it's TOTALLY DRY! It will magically then be plump and slightly shiny like gorgeous papier mache!
And that is all there is to it!
You can decorate your Heart in any way you like...here are a few I whipped up last night. You could also use this method to make any shape that takes your fancy! Oval, square, round....


Once you've got all your Ingredients out you can make loads in one go and they can be put to many uses...a brooch to wear on your cardi, gift tags, fridge magnets, run with it.


Hope you like it girls. Let me know what you think!


This one is for Jenny x


Lot's of love,



Amanda
 xxx


XXX

15 comments:

  1. Wow, Amanda, these are beautiful. I can't believe this is your first ever tutorial. You're a natural tutor! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda, first Thankyou so much for popping by my blog and for the 'like' and the encouragement with our little venture. Secondly, this tutorial is awesome. I can see a few if these made as gift tags in the future. I think I have plenty of spare fabrics to try them lol! Just had a quick read of some of your last posts as well as I seem to have missed one or two and so understand your reaction to your design being filched and sold. Heidi my sweet DD had the same problem a while ago, someone took an actual photograph off her website and sold it on a card to Paperchase! Got it sorted in the end, but what a nerve! Sorry this is turning into an epistle, but also love your hallway. Amazing . Keeping fingers crossed for Jenny, hugs to you both Jenny xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful heartfelt tutorial :-) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful easy to understand tutorial. Your a natural!!
    Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll give these a go, they look lovely. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats a great idea and i also like the gift tag version. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks amazing! Think I might try this!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are wonderful . . . oh so pretty :)
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! Such a cute idea, and i'm totally with you on the PVA love! I hope you and Jenny are both OK, Cate, x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love them. They are super duper cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh yes, these are just divine, Amanda I'm definitely going to have a go at making my own. Particularly as there is NO SEWING involved!!! Clever you.

    Do hope all is well my friend. Love to you and Jenny.

    Heather xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Missing your blog posts and hoping you and Jenny are okay xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi - hoping you are both doing OK. Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete